Game Objective & Overview
How to win and the basics.
Card Types & Colors
The different types of cards in the games and rarity colors.
There is a lot of customization available when choosing from over 200 cards to build your deck.
To start playing you will need, 1 Hero Profession card and your 50 card deck.
What happens at the start and end of your turn.
How & when to use Tokens.
Boons & Conditions
What do they do and when do they do it.
Abilities and Card Special texts
Questions and Answers.
Game Objective & Overview
The objective of the game is to defeat the opponent’s Hero.
Each player's Hero will start with 80 Health Points, the first person to deal 80 Damage to the opponent's Hero wins. Players will start by choosing a Profession and building a deck of 50 cards each (10 Skill & 40 Minion).
Every turn players will gain one additional Endurance and use it to summon Minion or Skill cards to damage the opponent’s Minions or Hero.
Card Types & Colors
There are a few different types of cards in the game, the ones you'll play with are Profession, Minion and Skills Cards.
- Profession Card is your hero, once this card dies you lose. This card is not part of your deck. These card are based on the 9 Professions in Guild War 2 which are, Revenant, Guardian, Warrior, Ranger, Engineer, Thief, Mesmer, Necromancer and Elementalist.
- Skill Cards are based on your choice of Profession. Example: If you pick the Warrior Profession card, you must then pick only the Warrior Skill cards. Skill cards can be self targeted.
Note: Skill Cards with Health are considered Minions.
- Minion Cards you will use in the Arena to battle your opponent’s Minions an attack the opponent’s Hero.
There are 3 Rarities of card, you can tell the rarity by the color of the damage icon and border around the image of the character.
- Basic cards will have a Grey colored rarity indicator, they are considered low tier and low cost cards. You may have 2 of any Basic card in your deck.
- Exotic cards will have a Gold colored rarity indicator, they are considered medium tier and medium cost cards. You may have 2 of any Exotic card in your deck.
- Legendary cards will have a Purple rarity indicator, they are considered high tier and high cost cards. You may only have 1 of any Legendary card in your deck.
Your deck must consist of 50 cards (10 Skills cards and 40 Minion Cards). The Profession card is not part of your deck, but will be used as your Hero.Once you must choose your Profession, this will then allow you to choose your 10 Skill cards and 40 minions of any rarity.
- Hero (Profession card)
- Deck (50 cards)
- Hand (no limit currently)
- Discard (Defeated or used cards)
- Endurance (Location for Endurance tokens)
- Arena (up to 8 minions of the Arena)
Players will take turns using their Endurance to summon Minions or use Skills.
Both players start the game with 3 cards. Start by drawing 6 cards and putting 3 back then shuffle your deck before you begin.
At the start of each turn players will get 1 extra Endurance token and draw 1 card.
The player who goes first will start with 1 Endurance and the players going second starts with 2 Endurance.
When you Summon a card it will not be activated until the end of your turn. When you summon a card place it down sideways. At the end of your turn, turn the card straight to activated for your next turn.
You will also need to keep track of some Conditions, Boons or Card Abilities that need to be removed at the end of your or your opponents turn.
Token are used to easily show the status of the Hero, Minions and more.
There are Tokens for Damage, Endurance, Taunt, Conditions & Boons.
Both players must be vigilant and keep on top of all the Tokens on the board, it’s the brain of the game and without them the game wouldn’t work.
Some Tokens Stack, some only last 1 turn. It is up to each player to keep track and ensure everything runs smoothly.
If you forget to place or remove a token on your turn, that Conditions, Boon or Taunt will not take effect.
You cannot place a token if it is not your turn.
Boons & Conditions
There are 6 Boons & Conditions in the game, they are caused by attacks, hero abilities or special card text.
- Aegis – Block the next attack, if you have multiple stacks, you block multiple attacks.
- Might – Each stack of might, that card deals +1 Damage. Entire Might stacks will be removed after attacking, unless persistent buff from an ally. Might stacks do no get removed when defending from an attack, only when attacking.
- Protection – Half incoming damage, damage numbers are rounded down (1 damage becomes 0). Each stack of this boon will last 1 attack incoming or outgoing. If you have multiple stacks you will have this boon for multiple attacks.
When a Boon is applied to a Minion or Hero, place the corresponding Token on top of that Card.
- Vulnerability – Receive double damage, each stack of this condition will last 1 attack incoming or outgoing. If you have multiple stacks you will have this condition for multiple attacks.
- Weakness – Deal half damage, each stack of this condition will last 1 attack incoming or outgoing. If you have multiple stacks you will have this condition for multiple attacks.
- Blind – Miss a turn, any card with Blind will not be able to attack for 1 turn and blind is removed at the end of that next turn. Blind can stack meaning a card could miss several turns. If an enemy attacks one of your minions with blind, they do not take damage and 1 stack of blind is removed. If you hero is blind, you cannot use Skill Cards.
If your card inflicts a condition as well as dealing Damage, that condition is applied after any damaged caused by that Card.
A lot of cards have special abilities and times in which that ability happens.
- Taunt - When a card has Taunt, that means that card MUST be attacked until it is either defeated or taunt has been removed. Taunt is neither a Boon or a Conditions because it could be good or bad depending on how you look at it and how you use it. If a card has Taunt, Make sure it has the Taunt token on top of it.
- Fury - This ability ets you attack straight away without waiting for your card to activate. When you Summon a card with Fury, you can attack with that card on that turn.
- Stealth - This ability means the card is summoned facedown and can't be attacked until it attacks, card is flipped once it has attacked. The card cannot gain boons, conditions or be damaged in any way while facedown.
- Summon - This ability will only happen when the card is placed on the board from your hand.
- Defeated - When a card has been killed it will trigger your Defeated ability.
- Inflict - If a card has an inflict condition ability, the condition is applied when you are either attacked or attacking an enemy Minions. The condition would also be applied when attacking the enemy hero, but not when being attacked with skill cards.
Q: What happens if a card with a “do X when friendly minions are defeated” dies at the same time as other cards?
A: If that card is Defeated at the same time it will still do its ability for the other cards that were Defeated. So if 2 other cards were Defeated at the same time, do X 2 times.